To refer to our services
Referrals from NHS and other professionals should be made using the form in the grey box at the bottom of this page and return to our secure NHS email address: email@example.com
You can also refer to our services over the phone.
Please call 0131 661 0890 to make a referral or ask to speak with Michele Milligan if you require further information.
Home Link Family Support, Home-Start Edinburgh West & South West and Home-Start Leith & North East Edinburgh are separate charities that support families in similar ways.
We provide a shared referral pathway, so that families who are referred will be assessed and offered support that meets their needs as soon as possible. This will prevent duplication of referrals and streamline the referral process, enabling us to allocate the right resource from the range that we collectively offer, at the right time.
When we receive your referral, a Coordinator from either Home Link Family Support or Home Start will contact you to let you know if the family can be matched immediately and if not, how long they may have to wait.
A Coordinator will then contact the family to arrange an assessment visit at home. If the family are suited to receive support from one of our Volunteers, we will match the family and Volunteer carefully to ensure everyone will have a good experience. The Coordinator will introduce the Volunteer to the family
To enable us to provide support to families, the family should:
- Live in either Edinburgh or Midlothian
- Have at least one child under five or be expecting a baby
- Be willing and able to engage in the service
- Be experiencing some form of difficulty
Support will consist of:
- Home visits from a Volunteer for two hours on a weekly basis for up to one year
- Support to access activities in the community, such as parent & toddler groups, baby massage, taking the children out to the park
- Support at home to play with the children, help to get into routines
- Someone to talk to and enjoy some company
- Help with budgeting, accessing further education, housing issues etc
For Antenatal Service, Young Parents Support and Systemic Family Counselling Services
Due to the possible complexity of support needs that the family may have, we ask that you make direct contact with our practitioners for these services, allowing you to have an informal discussion about the family needs, in confidence, before making a referral.
- Antenatal Support Service Contact Helen Gault 0131 661 0890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Midlothian Young Parents Support Service Contact Rachel Almeida 0131 661 0890 or email email@example.com
- Systemic Family Counselling Service Contact Paula Swanston 0131 661 0890 or email Paula.firstname.lastname@example.org
If you use email as the main means of contact, please ensure you use our secure email address if you are disclosing sensitive information. email@example.com
Length of support and monitoring
A Volunteer can visit the family for up to one year. Throughout the period of support there will be regular reviews with both the family and the Volunteer carried out by the Coordinator. The Volunteer/family relationship will be monitored to reflect on the goals set and the progress made. Contact will be made either face-to-face or by phone at least every four weeks.
The Coordinator will also be the link between the Volunteer and other professionals involved with the family, and can attend Core Groups and Case Conferences where necessary.
Getting It Right For Every Child
There is an expectation that in making a referral there is a willingness to work jointly with Home Link Family Support, Home Start and other relevant agencies at appropriate stages to support the delivery of the Child’s Plan where relevant. More info on GIRFEC
Download our referral form from the boxes below, and send the completed form to our secure email address: firstname.lastname@example.org