Our volunteers receive thorough training and are fully supported by Project Workers. Volunteering can help you gain new skills for your career development and is great experience if you want to work with children and families.
Some volunteers just do a year with us, some have worked with us for a long time. Their reasons for volunteering vary:
- To get new experience to apply for jobs
- For hands on experience to compliment a course such as Psychology or Social Work
- To dip a toe in this area to decide if it might be a career
- To give something back
- To maintain contact with small children
- Because they can remember how hard parenting was in the early years.
- Just because they want to help and get personal satisfaction.
Dates for the training courses click here
Types of Volunteer
- Volunteer Board Members
- Volunteer Befrienders to visit families at home
- Office volunteers (no current vacancies)
Am I eligible to be a volunteer befriender?
- Can you spare 2 -3 hours a week
- Are you reliable
- Are you caring and non-judgemental
- Are you a good listener
- Are you able to maintain confidentiality
- Have you got some understanding of the ups and downs of family life
- Are you over 18
Then yes, please get in touch we'd love to hear from you.
The Family Support Service requires
Volunteers to work in Edinburgh and Midlothian who are over 18 who are friendly, positive and non-judgemental. You do NOT need to be a parent or have any previous experience. You must be able to work with us for one year after the training. More information
Antenatal Service requires
Volunteers to work in Edinburgh only, with some experience of parenting, childcare, nursing or caring. A more challenging but very rewarding volunteering opportunity,for those who can commit 2-3 hours a week for at least 9 months. More information
Midlothian Young Parent's Support Service requires
Volunteers to work in Midlothian who have some experience of caring, health, social work or parenting and be able to commit to 2-3 hours a week for about 18 months. Access to a car would be an advantage. More information